NEW YORK, March 8, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Leaders concerned within the Technology Equality 2021 Discussion board referred to as for daring new international commitments to catapult progress on gender equality. The Discussion board’s motion coalitions are new and revolutionary partnerships – comprising governments, feminist and youth actions and organizations, the personal sector and worldwide organizations. At this time they are going to current an outline of actions they see as important to creating gender-equal societies because the world rebuilds after COVID-19. Leaders may also name on others to affix them as builders of dedication of their decisive effort to speed up investments and implementation for the rights of girls and ladies. Their pressing enchantment displays concern that gender equality – thwarted by the COVID-19 pandemic – requires redoubled funding and focus if the world’s girls and ladies are to not fall behind.
The Technology Equality 2021 Discussion board, an initiative of UN Ladies, with governments France, Mexico and in partnership with civil society and younger folks, will begin in Mexico in March 2021 and result in Paris in June 2021 geared toward producing main monetary and political commitments in favor of gender equality.
Motion Coalitions spotlight concrete motion steps they see as important to a daring new feminist agenda over the subsequent 5 years. Examples embrace:
- Radical measures to finish violence in opposition to girls and ladies, together with the accelerated introduction and implementation of legal guidelines and insurance policies prohibiting all types of gender-based violence, thereby defending an extra 550 million girls and the ladies worldwide.
- A worldwide reconstruction of care work and equal pay, together with political efforts to acknowledge, scale back and redistribute unpaid care work, alongside the creation of 80 million extra first rate care jobs.
- Inserting girls and ladies on the coronary heart of the brand new digital and inexperienced economies by selling job creation and management alternatives, doubling the proportion of girls working in know-how and innovation, and accelerating investments in gender-sensitive local weather options.
- Halve the present international digital gender divide dealing with women and girls, be certain that 600 million extra girls can entry the Web and that greater than 350 million extra girls and ladies have entry to a cell phone.
- Empower girls and ladies to make and act on their very own choices about their sexuality and childbearing lives by extending complete sexuality schooling to 50 million extra younger folks and by altering requirements, legal guidelines and insurance policies to allow not less than 260 million extra ladies, adolescents and ladies to train their bodily autonomy and their sexual and reproductive rights.
- Enhance sources for feminist, youth-led and grassroots girls’s teams, together with funds for ladies, by doubling the annual development fee of funding for these organizations.
The Technology Equality Discussion board responds to the truth that 26 years after the Fourth World Convention on Ladies Beijing public rhetoric on gender equality has not been accompanied by motion and implementation. COVID-19 has exacerbated current inequalities, with stories of accelerating violence in opposition to girls, in addition to larger adverse financial impacts.
The preliminary draft of actions of motion coalitions could be consulted right here. Full “ plans ” detailing the draft agendas of every motion coalition will probably be unveiled on the Technology Equality Discussion board in Mexico, March 29-31 and commitments to motion coalitions will probably be introduced in Paris in June 2021. Registration for the Mexico the occasion is now open to this hyperlink. You can find extra info on the Mexico Metropolis Discussion board right here.
Welcoming the preliminary work of the Motion Coalitions, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Govt Director of UN Ladies, stated: “The pandemic has had a disastrous impression on the lives of girls and ladies and has been a significant setback within the seek for equality in our nation. The Technology Equality Discussion board – fueled by the work of the Motion Coalitions – is a singular alternative in ten years to completely change course. We name on governments, companies and alter organizations world wide to affix our pressing motion for motion and commitments. “
For extra info on easy methods to change into a Technology Equality Discussion board Engagement Creator, organizations can see the FAQ or full a expression of curiosity on the location of the Technology Equality Discussion board, discussion board.generationequality.org
Notes to Editors
1. For extra info, please contact Clare winterton, UN Ladies, [email protected], +1 415 867 6525 or Nancy McCarthy at Ogilvy Public Relations, [email protected], + 1212.880.5366 / cell (917) 549-0233.
SOURCE UN Ladies